DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE is a type of method where the deeper layers of the muscles and connecting tissues are manipulated via deeper pressure. This system of therapy is tremendously beneficial for muscular relief around the neck, shoulders, and the lower back that stay tight from overuse. It clears and effectively heals rigidity in the lower back and stiff neck.
The traditional Swedish style of massage therapy is similar to the deep tissue massage therapy but does not use ask much pressure as Swedish. The movements are slower while the intensity of pressure is focused more on the tensed and pain stricken muscles. This particular massage therapy aids in the breaking up and elimination of the scar tissues as well.
Deep tissue massage also releases patterns of tension that are chronic in the body through slow strokes and deep pin-point pressure on the particular area. By using deep pressure and slow strokes
or friction applied on the grain of the muscles, this allows the soft tissue to warm up before aiming into deeper muscles by using slower strokes.
How Does Deep Tissue Massage Work?
1. Deep tissue massage is a highly corrective and therapeutic technique for relieving muscular tension. It involves two primary methods, the direct and indirect methods. Both are very efficient in releasing in-depth tension, detoxifying, soothing, comforting and relaxing muscles.
2. The direct method administers pressure to the muscle with the focus on finding muscular resistance and ensuring the maintenance of pressure until the resistance is released in the muscle belly.
3. The indirect method operates by assessing the client with muscular testing and evaluation to see which muscles are overworked. These overworked muscles may be the root cause of your pain and tension.
4. When both techniques are involved, the amount of pressure applied is dependent on the amount of resistance the muscle has against the pressure.
5. Various tools and methods may be used to assist in a deeper stretch to the client's hypertensive muscle such as stretch-straps and Myofacial work.
6. Focus on specific areas of the muscle belly may cause some temporary pain or discomfort. Some clients find deep tissue massage intense and it may cause some soreness during or after each massage session.
7. When the massage is carried out correctly by the massage therapist, any soreness should disappear within a day or two as long as the client drinks plenty of water.
Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage:
Aside the regular relaxation massage, deep tissue massage is highly effective on the skeletal structures of the body. The majority of Americans prefer deep tissue massage to aid in treating crippling musculskeletal diseases, muscle dystrophy, tendons and ligament injuries. Muscles, when stressed, tend to block oxygen and nutrients, leading to inflammation that aids the build-up of toxins in the muscle tissue.
With the help of controlled manual influence, deep tissue massage loosens muscles, breaks down scar tissue, detoxifies and allows blood and oxygen to properly circulate. It is noteworthy to take plenty of water afterward to flush away toxins that were released during massage.
Key benefits of Deep Tissue massage:
• Elimination of the blockages that causes muscle tightness
• Aids in circulation of blood, lymph, cerebrospinal and interstitial fluids
• It can resolve major acute pain by releasing deep rooted trigger points that cause tension
• It aids in the improvement and functioning of the internal organs.
• It aids in the improvement of posture and mobility.
• It aids in the reduction of tension and the automatic reflexes of stress.
Is Deep Tissue Massage right for YOU?
Unlike most massage treatments, deep tissue massage is not advisable for everyone, certain people are excluded due to common medical conditions. Massaging over injured, areas of recent fracture, inflamed skin, tumors, abdominal hernia, or skin disease directly should be avoided. Please consult you doctor before you schedule a massage if you have any of these symptoms.
People who should avoid deep tissue massage:
• Persons with cardiovascular conditions and heart disease especially in cases of thrombosis, phlebitis.
• Expectant women in their 1st Trimester and people with osteoporosis should consult their doctor before considering massage.
• Immediately after surgery.
• Immediately after chemotherapy or radiation, unless with the recommendation of your doctor.
When considering a deep tissue massage, make sure you opt for a therapist you feel very comfortable with and one that comes from a reputable and licensed organization.
Murfreesboro Massage Therapy is your answer for a deep tissue massage.
Ask A Professional
Use the contact form to ask a licensed massage professional any questions about this type of massage and whether it is right for you!